Home » Questions and Answers » What am I entitled to as a legal employee ?

What am I entitled to as a legal employee ?

Home » Questions and Answers » What am I entitled to as a legal employee ?


The employer does not want to pay me the agreed remuneration, or pays less. What shall I do with this?

If you have not been paid your salary within the proper deadline set by your employer, follow these steps:

Is there a fixed minimum wage? What is its amount? What is a guaranteed salary?

  1. Yes, there is a set minimum wage in the Czech Republic, which also applies to workers from third countries. You can find more information about the minimum wage in a government regulation here: https://www.zakonyprolidi.cz/cs/2006-567.

  2. The guaranteed wage represents the lowest set wage for work according to a specific type of work, while it is divided into groups according to the complexity, responsibility and effort of work. The lowest level of the guaranteed wage must not be lower than the minimum wage. The amount of the guaranteed wage can be found here: https://ppropo.mpsv.cz/XVIII2Zarucenamzda.

Am I entitled to leave/vacation as an employee?

If you work on the basis of an employment contract for the entire calendar year, you are entitled to vacation for a minimum of 4 weeks in the calendar year. If you do not work for the same employer continuously for one year, your entitlement to leave is reduced accordingly. During the period of vacation, you receive a salary in the amount of average earnings. The dates of leave are determined or approved by the employer.

Can I quit working for my employer overnight?

If you do not agree with your employer to terminate your employment by written agreement, then you may terminate your employment immediately only if:

Am I protected by notice period?

If you are employed, you are entitled to a two-month notice period. In the case of ACJ or APW, the notice period is 15 days. Under certain conditions (breach of employee duties, etc.), the employment relationship can be terminated immediately without notice period.

Am I entitled to free healthcare?

If you have commercial health insurance (more information on the obligation to have health insurance in the question "Do I have to have health insurance?") or you are registered in the public health insurance system (e.g. due to legal employment or permanent residence), you are entitled to the necessary medical procedures, medicine and medical supplies free of charge. However, for some medications and procedures, the patients pay extra, some they pay in full. Keep in mind, however, that commercial health insurance does not usually cover all medical procedures, does not apply to all health care providers, and is not equivalent to public health insurance.

Can I draw sick pay?

If you are temporarily unable to do your job, you are entitled to so called sick pay. Anyone who intentionally caused his/her temporary incapacity for work is not entitled to benefits. The employer cannot give you a notice during your illness.

What does social security mean in the Czech Republic? Am I entitled to it?

  1. Social security is state monetary support for the payers of social security contributions. It includes pension insurance premiums, sickness insurance premiums and contributions to the state employment policy.

  2. Yes, you are entitled to social security if certain conditions are met. More information here: https://www.mpsv.cz/socialni-zabezpeceni-cizincu-v-cr.

Am I entitled to social and legal counseling, courses?

If you need advice in connection with your stay in the Czech Republic, e.g. regarding health care, the labour market, or use the help of a lawyer, you can use professional social or legal advice offered by organizations dealing with foreigners - an overview is here: http: // www.pracevceskerepublice.cz/index.php/pruvodce-2-2/. For the territory of the capital city of Prague, there is a portal https://icpraha.com/, which provides legal advice services for foreigners, as well as other services. Services are usually free of charge for foreigners from third countries.

Do I have to complete an adaptive integration course?

Every foreigner (besides certain exceptions) who has been issued a long-term residence permit in the Czech Republic since 1st January 2021, and every foreigner who has been issued a permanent residence permit without this condition without prior residence in the territory, is obliged to complete an adaptation integration course within one year from the date of entry into force of the decision on the issuance of a permanent residence permit. The course is led by a professionally qualified lecturer and interpreted by a qualified interpreter into English, Arabic, French, Mongolian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Ukrainian or Vietnamese. The course is charged at 1.500 CZK.

For more information visit: https://www.vitejtevcr.cz/en/vitejte-v-cr

Am I entitled to state social support benefits (child allowance, parental allowance, housing allowance, maternity allowance, funeral allowance, etc.)?

  1. The following people are entitled to benefits:

    • a person who has a permanent residence in the Czech Republic,

    • foreigners registered for residence in the Czech Republic, 365 days after the date of registration for residence in the Czech Republic,

    • foreigners under 1 year of age, born in the Czech Republic and registered for residence in the Czech Republic,

    • foreigners who are holders of a long-term residence permit with the granted legal status of a long-term resident in the EU in the territory of another EU Member State and who have been issued a long-term residence permit in the Czech Republic, and their family members,

    • foreigners who have been issued a long-term residence permit in the Czech Republic for the purpose of performing employment requiring high qualifications,

    • if they reside in the territory of the Czech Republic.

  2.  Applications for the provision of state social support benefits are submitted at the regional branch of the Labour Office of the Czech Republic according to the place of residence of the person (link to the web: https://www.uradprace.cz/web/cz/krajske-pobocky), who has the benefit entitlement, i.e. the beneficiary.